Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Getting Ready...

Last fall, inspired by my wonderful week sailing on a 44' sailboat with three other very agreeable companions in the San Juan islands in Puget Sound, I bought a sailboat! It's a Catalina 27 with an in-board diesel which Robin and I re-named "Quilty Pleasure". Watch Renaming Video.



Right now it's moored at the marina where it was when I bought it - Watts Bar Lake in Tennessee. But it's going to live on Lake Barkely, near our second home in Paducah, Kentucky. I originally thought I that I would ship it. But when I discovered that I could actually sail/motor the entire 525 miles down the Tennessee River with my mast up, that sounded like too much of an adventure to pass up! So that's the plan!

I asked Mike Dane to accompany me and he eagerly accepted (much to my surprise and pleasure). Mike was our Admiral aboard the boat in the San Juans, so he is an expert on the operation of cruising sailboats. And we enjoyed each other's company, so it seemed like a good match.

We have been planning, collecting, scheduling,fretting, and anticipating for several months and now we're getting close!

Mike flies into Milwaukee tomorrow and then we're off!

I went grocery shopping yesterday. I basically have no idea what I'm doing! I have no idea where we're going to put everything. I'm counting on Mike's experience and genius to solve all our little problems...

Here's a photo of the groceries I got yesterday. This doesn't include all perishables we still need. It also doesn't show all the beer!




And then there's the anchor, rode, inflatable dinghy, fenders, radar reflector, cushions, boat hook, binnacle cup holder, extra line, container for extra diesel fuel, and much more...



4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful adventure. It strikes me that this sailboat is "a bit larger" than the one you used to race in Rockford. I look forward to your regular updates with keen anticipation.
    I once talked to a couple who had canoed the Mississippi River all the way to the Gulf. The take away lesson for me was that you don't want to canoe underneath docks, wharves, etc. because you may be crushed by the wake of a barge. Not much chance that you could sail this lovely lady under anything lower than a bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have to leave the bike trainer and elliptical behind to make room for more wine...or are you able to stop and re-stock the more important consumables? Happy sailing Steve & Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't realize it was happening already. I'm excited to read your chronicles. I hope the snow in that part of the country is gone, but bring some wool socks anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still lots of snow here, but not where we're headed. The forecast for Saturday is partly sunny and a high of 63. And rain on Sunday, our likely departure day.

      Delete